Masterful Mindsets – Resolution Pitfalls
“Never let a stumble in the road be the end of your journey.” – unknown
Will you be part of the majority that gives up on your resolutions or the minority that succeeds? What gets in your way of success? Are you ready to make this year different?
Since the start of the new year, I’ve been giving you tips to succeed at making your New Year’s Resolutions a reality this year. But let’s face it, even though it sounds simple in theory, it can be tough because there are so many things that can trip you up and keep you from staying the course. That point is proven when you consider that statistics show less than 10% of the people who set resolutions actually keep them.
So today, I want to conquer some of the most common pitfalls that can sabotage your success and keep you from sticking with your resolutions.
- Too Many Resolutions – Trying to make too many changes all at once is a recipe for disaster. You are more prone to get overwhelmed and give up. Pick the one transformation that is most important to you and start there. If you stay focused on that one goal, you will be more likely to succeed at it in a shorter amount of time then trying to make several changes at once. When you’ve mastered the first resolution, you can move on to the next. (Can’t pick just one? Make your max limit 3! And look closely to see if they go together. For example, getting enough sleep and exercising could essentially be components of one overall goal to be healthy this year.)
- Too BIG – If your goal is too big it can get overwhelming and again, what happens when you are overwhelmed? You get frustrated and you are more likely to give up. So, if your goal is big, break it down into smaller more manageable goals. (Just like I discussed last week with Action Steps.) Then focus on one goal at a time. You’ll find that you stay better motivated when you break it down and can reach each milestone in a shorter period of time.
- Fear of Failure – Let’s get the idea that you aren’t going to mess up out of your mind right now. You will likely fall back into your old habits at some point. You will trip and fall (aka fail) somewhere along the line. So what? Be aware when you do, acknowledge that it is not what you want anymore, make a shift to the new behavior or thoughts. And keep moving forward. Too often when someone slips up – they give up. Don’t let one setback, set you off permanently.
- Let Old Stories Control You – We all hear that voice in our head at times that reminds us of all the reasons we can’t do something. Don’t let your old self-limiting beliefs control your future. Change those old stories and create a new truth. (Find out about Truth Statements in The Achieve! Success System.)
- Not Clear Enough On Your “WHY” – If you don’t have a clear reason for wanting to make a change, you will lose motivation fast. That being said, not all reasons are created equally. Identify your deep meaningful why. Remember, inspiration is much more powerful than obligation. What are your reasons for wanting to make changes in your life? Is it because you feel like you have to or because you want to? (This is another one of the many key concepts I discuss in The Achieve! Success System.)
- Not Getting the Right Kind of Support – Take a good look at the people you surround yourself with. If you are trying to get healthy but your friends like to eat out and drink every weekend, then odds are they are not the circle of influence you want to be around. Find people who have the same goals and new interests as you. Of course, this doesn’t mean you have to dump your old friends. But it does mean you will want to plan time with them in new places that serve your new way of living. Which leads me to the next one…
- Not Planning – As Winston Churchill said, “He who fails to plan, is planning to fail.” Enough said! You must have a plan… plan ahead and plan in detail. The more specific you are with your plan the more prepared you’ll be for anything that might otherwise derail your journey to success.
My challenge to you is to be on the lookout for all of the above pitfalls and make sure you are adjusting accordingly using the simple solutions I’ve given above. If you want to dive deeper into these and many more key strategies to success, then grab a free trial of my Achieve! Success System now.
***I want to hear from you… Share your thoughts about this week’s topic below!